Las Animas, Colorado
Las Animas was established as a trading post on the Santa Fe trail in 1870. Las Animas was never very large, reaching a population of a little over 3,000 in the second half of the 20th century. Over the course of the 1900s Las Animas gradually lost importance relative to other towns in the region such La Junta and Lamar. For the last few decades Las Animas along with the region surrounding it has been slowly loosing population. Las Animas has a beautifully maintained and impressive 1889 court house and several other interesting 19th and early 20th century buildings. Boggsville townsite is two miles South of Las Animas.