Williamston North Carolina
Williamston was settled sometime in the 1730s and incorporated in 1774. Williamston grew slowly as a marketing and processing center for local agricultural products and river port until the late 1800s when the railroad and tobacco arrived in the region. After the turn of the century Williamston grew quickly for the next 50 years. Williamston's population has been hovering around 6,000 since the 1960s and in recent years has been slightly declining. Most of the existing buildings in downtown Williamston were built in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Williamston has several pre-civil war homes in it's residential neighborhoods. Commercial activity in downtown has recently been siphoned off into strip developments and a Walmart on the edge of town. The historic core is still well preserved though slightly empty. Most of the downtown area as well as the central residential areas are included in national historic districts. The city built a walking and biking trail (The Skewarkee Trail ) from downtown to the Roanoke river (about a mile). There is a nice park and boat landing where the trail meets the river. Just east of that park is another along the river ( Moratoc Park ). The section of the Roanoke between the parks has a few big old cypress growing out of the water near the river bank and the abandoned walkway pictured below. The abandoned warehouse in downtown (pictured below) has since been boarded up and is possibly being preserved.