Coplay Cement Kilns, Pennsylvania
These nine cement kilns were built from 1892 to 1893 by the Coplay Cement company. They were built to manufacture Portland cement which is a key ingredient in any cement or concrete product. In the early 1900s 75% of the Portland cement produced in the United States came from the area around Coplay (Lehigh Valley). The Coplay kilns quickly became obsolete and were replaced by new technology. They ceased operations in 1904. They were originally surrounded/enclosed by a large building that was torn down in the 1920s. In 1976 the kilns were acquired by Lehigh County. The county has preserved the kilns and developed a park around them. Initially the county built and operated an exhibit space inside the kilns. That space has been closed for sometime now and the kilns are fenced off. As part of the effort to preserve the kilns the county has built roofs on top of four of them. These add to the strange phallic look of the ruin. The park around the kilns has a playground and pool and is a popular picnic spot for locals.