Thebes Illinois became an important steamboat port after it's founding in 1846. Thebes was the original county seat of the Egyptian themed Alexander County Illinois until the county seat was moved to Cairo in 1884. There isn't much left of historic Thebes at this point. Most of the low lying area of town has been destroyed by countless floods. The courthouse, built on the bluff in 1848 survives and is a historic landmark. The lower, former townsite is used primarily for recreation and RV parking, with most of the towns' current residents living in newer homes on the bluff above the river. There is a very nice roadside park just North of Thebes on the banks of the Mississippi with bathrooms, picnic tables and access to the river.