Shawneetown is one of the oldest European settlements in Illinois. Shawneetown was chartered by the federal government in 1803. The town was devastated by the flooding Ohio river in 1937. After the flood, a majority of the town's residents moved to a new townsite 3 miles away from the river. The original town was, at that point renamed Old Shawneetown. 188 residents remain at the old townsite. The new Shawneetown has a current population of 1,204 (2012). There is very little left of historic Old Shawneetown. Many of the current residents live in mobile homes or recently constructed homes. The majority of the historic buildings in town have been destroyed by floods or demolished. New Shawneetown has an expansive, planed, auto oriented layout and a rapidly dwindling population.
One of the few surviving historic buildings in Old Shawneetown is the Bank of Illinois Building pictured above. The bank was built in 1840 and is currently owned by the state but not open to the public. Illinois In Focus has more pictures and history here.