Quincy Dredge Number 2
Just across highway 26 from The Quincy Stamp Mill is the Quincy Dredge Number 2. The Quincy Stamp Mill discharged so much waste sand into Torch Lake that it completely altered the shoreline. As the mines began to play out and techniques for separating copper from ore advanced, mine owners discovered that reprocessing previously discarded waste sand could be more profitable than the hard rock mining they had been doing. The Quincy mine purchased a dredge to pull the waste sands back out of the lake and feed them into a reprocessing plant. The first dredge they purchased sank in 1956. Dredge number two was originally built for the Calumet and Hecla Mining Company and purchased by the Quincy mine in 1951. It was built by Bucyrus in 1914 and was used until 1967.